I've been working from home for about 2 years. Here's some tips for people that are new to it:
- Keep regular work hours. Doesn't have to be 8 hours a day but it's important to keep a schedule such as starting work at the same time every day from Monday to Friday.
- If you need to access your computer at work or share your computer with others such as technical support or work colleagues install www.teamviewer.com for free.
- Use a calendar like calendar.google.com to schedule your tasks over the next 4 weeks.
- Do some sort of exercise (at least 30 minutes a day) such as mowing lawns, walking, dancing in your kitchen. To track this I use an app on my phone called Google Fit.
- Get good at using cloud based apps to do your work. Here's a few that I use:
Telephone (VOIP): www.2talk.co.nz
Receive Credit Card payments: www.paypal.com
File Storage and cloud based documents and spreadsheets: drive.google.com
- Keep social. Talk to neighbours over the fence. Call friends and family. Message friends on Bookface.
- Plan hobbies. To keep interested and creative, plan times to work on your hobbies during the week.
- Eat healthy and try new recipes. Being stuck at home makes it really easy to put on weight so it's important to eat well.
- Listen to music. Since working from home I play a lot more music now and have purchased a subscription to YouTube Music so I can play any music I want.
- Educate. Now that you have more time is the perfect opportunity to learn new skills. I mostly use YouTube to find out how to do things but there are plenty of great educational sources online.